The Sage Creek Wilderness Area is located on the west side of the Badlands. Entering the park near Wall, SD. There are no maintained trails leading through Sage Creek, backpackers are free to explore the area which features Sage Creek features abundant wildlife that includes bighorn sheep, buffalo and pronghorn. Along with so many fossils.
Trip Type: 3 Day Guided Backpacking Trip Trail Section: Sage Creek Wilderness, Deer Haven Area Highlights:
- Deerhavens panoramic views(approximately 2,950′)
- Wildlife including Bison, Longhorn, Prairie Dogs and Maybe a Rattlesnake
- Fossils Hunting
- Scrambling through the rugged Badlands
When: May 28th – 30th Trip difficulty: Intermediate (Rock Scrambling) Mileage – 20 mile estimate Group Size: 6 to 10 guests Cost: $395
*Returning clients receive a 10% discount
Day 1 Meet at the Conata Picnic Area at 9am Section: Sage Creek Wilderness Deerhaven Area Hiking Distance: 5 miles(includes 2 spur trial miles) Highlights: Deer Haven sits high above the plains on a 2,950-foot high surrounded by a juniper forest. Set up base camp and venture around.
Day 2 Section: Hike North into the Sage Creek Basin Hiking Distance: 7 – 10 mile loop Highlights: Scenery, Wildlife and Fossils(they are everywhere)
Day 3 Section: Deerhaven to Conata Picnic Area Hiking Distance: 3 miles Highlights: I always seem to spot Bison on the way back to the picnic area. To the car for COLD beverages and final pictures.
Please Note: We will de everything in our powers to follow the set itinerary, however it can change occasionally based on trail restrictions, weather, guest ability or injury, natural events like fires, flooding, and other potential causes.
- Backpacking Shakedown/Training overnight at Afton SP
- A professional, knowledgeable, backcountry hiking guide
- Backpacking Beyond guidebook which includes info and videos on backpacking gear, food and training
- Certified Wilderness First Responder on every trip
- Shuttle Fee
- National Forest use fees and permits
- Water Filtration System
- Emergency equipment including a medical kit and satellite phone
What’s Not Included –
- Backpacking Equipment
- Minnesota state park parking pass
- Guide gratuity – Tipping is optional but customary. (Industry recommends 10-20% of trip cost)